The Union Health Center (UHC) was founded in 1914 by the International Ladies’ Garment Workers’ Union (ILGWU) and has a proud history of delivering medical services to many thousands of union workers living and working in the greater metropolitan New York area. UHC has always been dedicated to the mission of focusing on the health care needs of the hard working members of our sponsoring unions. In recognition of our achievements, John F. Kennedy signed a Congressional act in 1963 that commemorated the UHC's successful creation of “a new conception of medical care for the worker which has been followed by many other unions and socially minded institutions.”
After nearly a century of work, UHC continues to strive for new ways to deliver high quality health care to its patients. In 1996, we renovated UHC to create a clean and modern space and then a year later, UHC was one of the first health centers in the country to adopt an electronic medical record and move to a “paperless” system. Most recently, we were recognized by the National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA) as a Level 3 Patient Centered Medical Home, which is a model that emphasizes coordinated care, easy access, and cultural sensitivity. Level 3 is the highest designation awarded for a medical home. We also actively partner with the Primary Care Development Corporation (PCDC) and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) to design innovative programs that can give our patients access to the highest standard of medical care.